Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Made a Meal!

Yes it's true, I can cook. While I do not have the normal amenities every cook needs, like a kitchen, I feel i can make a pretty satisfying meal. For this I decided to cook myself some delicious sweet and sour chicken. How did I cook this in my dorm room without a stove you ask? Well obviously it was a store bought, processed, sweet and sour chicken mix. While this isn't exactly what I meant when I said I could cook, I'm working with what I have.
Okay so back to the sweet and sour chicken. I opened the package, poured it in the one bowl I have in my dorm room, and cooked it in my microwave then sat and enjoyed it. Obviously I would have enjoyed actually cooking an elaborate meal that I could savor, this would do for a Wednesday night. The chicken was tender, and the sauce was made perfectly-not to sweet.
In his book, Pollan argues that Americans do not enjoy eating. I definitely do not agree with this, mostly because I love eating and enjoying the complexity of all foods. This guy here also agrees with Pollan and states how us Americans scarf down food left and right, but I really feel differently. The fact that the food we generally consume isn't right off the farm does not make it not food, but instead just a different kind of honestly quite unhealthy food. American cuisine may be processed, unhealthy, and in reality pretty disgusting, but man does it taste good and is still definitely food.

No comments:

Post a Comment